Meniscus tears are a common knee injury that occur when the fibrocartilage strips in the knee rupture. It can be caused by simple actions such as walking, or more traumatic encounters seen through sports contact or physical exertion. Furthermore, degenerative tears often happen in older adults as a result of wear and tear over the years. Regardless of the cause, meniscus tears require treatment including ice, rest, support, and possibly surgery depending on the severity. Knee braces are a preferred method to stabilize the injured area and prevent further damage.
There are various braces available for individuals who have a tear in their meniscus depending on the cause of the tear, extent of the injury, and price range that individuals would like to stay within. Often, several knee braces may be required to see which one best suits the needs of your injury. Above all, anyone who has a meniscus tear should follow the recommendation of their health physician to ensure proper healing and optimal care. The following five braces are the best for a torn meniscus:
The Breg Fusion brace has a high-strength frame design built out of tempered aluminum to withstand high-impact contact. Created with air mesh vents and frame pads, it allows for significant airflow and leads to more comfort for the user. The sports package includes a variety of extras such as the brace bag, undersleeve, and brace cover. Additionally, the dial hinge makes it easily adjustable.
- Improves suspension
- Alleviates pressure points
- Lightweight design
- Remove moisture and heat from the skin
- One of the most expensive knee brace brands
- Used for more severe injuries
- Can feel too imobilizing
Motion Infiniti Knee Brace is an excellent option for injuries that are not severe and works wells for activities that do not require a lot of impact such as hiking, walking, yoga, and tennis. The breathable material incorporates four metal springs as well as non-slip support. The patella shield offers extra kneecap support and the antimicrobial fabric helps control odor and sweat.
- Highly affordable
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Money-back guarantee
- Perfect option for minimal injuries
- Color dye bleeds easily
- Fabric does not support stabilizers in the long-run
- Sizes run small
If you need a knee brace with minimal to moderate support, the Alaska Bear Open Patella Brace is the right choice. The open design helps support the knee caps and improve comfort. It is lightweight and breathable to lesson overheating while wearing the brace. With a price point that attracts numerous users, it will not break your bank.
- 100% money back or replacement guarantee
- Three-belt Velcro allows for easy size adjustment
- The open design targets a variety of knee injuries
- One of the most affordable braces on the market
- Only provides light support
- The one-size design is not suitable for everyone
- Can be difficult to put on by yourself
- Does not have adequate non-slip support
DonJoy Deluxe Hinged Knee Brace provides moderate support for knee injuries and sprains. The nylon and polyester fabric allows for improved airflow while still giving appropriate levels of compression and support. With the open back design, it can prevent discomfort for individuals that will be highly active or engage in significant bending. The material is great for individuals who have sensitive skin prone to irritation.
- Offers moderate stability for meniscus injuries
- Bilateral hinges provide additional support
- Open popliteal design prevents discomfort
- Ideal for individuals with allergies
- Hinges tend to dig into the sides of the knee
- Sizing runs small
- The neoprene is not durable
- Can be uncomfortable if worn for long periods of time
Fire Team Fit Knee Sleeve Compression Support is designed to support your knee during exercise performance, allowing for fluid movement. It is ideal for compromising knee exercises such as squats, dead lifts, and other bodybuilding activities and it helps promote knee stabilization to maximize your performance. The neoprene material provides warmth and is a top choice for powerlifting and Olympic lifting.
- Lightweight 7mm neoprene material
- Preferred choice among bodybuilders
- Comfortable fit
- Not meant for moderate to severe injuries
- Costlier than other low impact knee braces
- Varied reduction in knee pain
Meniscus tears cause damage within the knee joint that can leave individual in a lot of pain and discomfort. Unloader knee braces are used to reduce the load on the side that has been injured. If your meniscus has been torn on both sides, a ligament brace will provide more support as it contains hinges for more immobilization. Regardless of the extent of your injury, brace recommendations are commonly made based on the level of activity you will engage in during your stages of healing. Selecting and using the right brace is an excellent way to prevent further injury and allow for adequate support while your knee recovers.
Often, meniscus tears will require surgery. Your doctor will still prescribe post-operative instructions that generally advise towards the use of a knee brace best suiting the extent of your injury. If you have experienced a meniscus tear previously, precautionary measures should be taken when engaging in high-impact sports or activities so a comfortable knee brace is a great idea to have on hand for future use. The braces described above are excellent options for varying injury severity.